Missing teeth can affect your life in more ways than you might have imagined. Fortunately, dental implants, one of the restoration options offered by your Detroit, MI, dentists at Grand River Family Dentistry can fill the gaps in your smile.
Dental implants restore and protect your smile
Dental implants offer an excellent way to restore missing teeth, no matter how many teeth you've lost. Implants are titanium posts added to your jawbone during minor oral surgery in Detroit, MI. The posts become the roots of your new teeth and are connected to dental crowns. Crowns are restorations that replace the visible parts of teeth. Implants offer excellent biting power and can be connected to bridges and dentures.
5 problems tooth loss causes
After losing one or more teeth, you may experience:
- Trouble Looking in the Mirror: Tooth loss dramatically changes the image you see in the mirror. After losing teeth, you may find that a frown becomes your default expression, particularly if you feel self-conscious about your new smile.
- Business or Social Difficulties: Although your personality, skills, and abilities haven't changed just because you've lost teeth, you may face more challenges due to your transformed smile. Tooth loss could make it harder to get a new job, receive a promotion, or feel confident when meeting new people.
- Difficulty Eating: Biting and chewing food isn't so easy if you've lost one or more teeth. Some people resort to avoiding certain foods, which can lead to nutritional deficiencies. Swallowing food whole may seem like an acceptable solution, but the practice can increase your choking risk and cause an upset stomach.
- Bite Problems: It's not unusual for your remaining teeth to shift after tooth loss. Shifting can alter your bite which is the way your upper and lower teeth fit together. This causes your teeth to overlap or become crooked.
- Shrinking Jaw: You're at increased risk of developing jawbone resorption after tooth loss. The condition occurs when the bone shrinks due to decreased stimulation from tooth roots. Loose teeth and sagging facial muscles can occur as a result of resorption.
Restore your smile with dental implants! Call (313) 535-2273 to schedule an appointment with your dentists in Detroit, MI, at Grand River Family Dentistry.